Maintaining a garden involves a lot of commitment. Taking care of plants like our own kids is important, it requires timely watering, trimming, maintaining fertility using fertilizers and manures, using medicines and pesticides to avoid any decrease. Fertile and enriched soil plays the main role in enhancing the health of plants. Therefore, special care has to be taken to maintain nutrition value of the soil to have a blooming and lush green garden. Compost improves the quality and texture of the soil, ensures good retention of water, air, and nutrition which is then slowly supplied to plants which make them healthier. There is various type of composting methods and equipment, the details regarding which you can get at Composting Bin HQ.
Compost is a complete solution to enhance the quality, retention power and immunity of the soil against dangerous components. To more closely understand the composting process, do visit www.wikihow.com.
Some of the benefits and value addition of compost are:
1. It improves Physical soil structure: In case of heavy, dense soil, adding compost makes it porous and hence helps in draining off excess water. The sticky and heavy texture of soil lightens up by adding compost along with fertilizers. In case of sandy and light soil, it increases retention of moisture and thus reduces the need for frequent watering. The humus in compost binds the nutrient particles together and avoids erosion to a certain extent. Thus, compost helps in maintaining good tilth value of the soil.
2. Helps in enhancing soil biology: Compost offer nutrition to the beneficial organism like bacteria, earthworms which help in maintaining the fertility of the soil. It also increases the immunity of soil and plants against diseases and pest attacks. Adding compost gives a breeding ground to beneficial organism who improves soil structure by helping the soil to be aggregated.
3. Adds nutrients to the soil: Since compost is made out of decomposing various nutritious waste components, there are vital levels of iron, copper, magnesium, zinc, calcium, and sulfur which improves the plant health.
4. Compost balances pH level: Soil pH determines whether the plant roots absorb the nutrients in the soil or not. There are two extreme levels of ph., between the range of 1 to 14. Either the soil is highly acidic (1 pH value) or extremely alkaline (14 pH value). pH value of 7 is considered appropriate. Compost helps the soil in maintaining this neutral level. Acidic soil has an abundance of positively charged hydrogen ions, by adding compost these ions are negatively charged and neutralizes the effect. Visa Versa is the treatment for high on alkaline soil. Compost also avoids the soil pH to change suddenly.
5. Enhances CEC levels of the soil: Cation exchange capacity defines the capability of the soil to hold the nutrients and how well roots can take them from the soil. The higher CEC level, the better as it determines how long will the fertilizer will stay in the soil.
Unlike other components like fertilizer, manure, medicines which take cares of only a specific feature of the soil and plants, compost enhances the overall quality of the soil to give a healthier and beneficial environment to your garden.